Description

Morris Island Lighthouse

Well over 100 years old, the Morris Island Lighthouse is the third lighthouse in its current location just off the coast of Folly Beach. Construction began in 1872 and the lighthouse was first used in 1876.

It is most notable for its slight NE lean, which is believed to have been the result of the earthquake of 1886. The Save the Light, Inc. non-profit now manages the general upkeep and preservation of the lighthouse through continued fundraising and awareness campaigns. The lighthouse can be accessed via the Lighthouse Inlet at the end of East Ashley Avenue, or via the beach.